Get Connected – Get involved – Volunteer
Are you looking to connect with your community, and take action on issues close to your heart?
Would you like to be active and meet new people?
Do you have a bit of spare time and would you like to make a difference in other peoples’ lives?
Take part in our “Get Connected” project. You will gain experience of volunteering in your community and you will be able to share your journey with others.
Our third Kick-off event for people living in Finglas, Glasnevin, Ballymun or Cabra is taking place on Wednesday, April 11th. Sign-up here.
Who can take part?
Anybody over the age of 18 who lives in the Dublin City area and who is new to volunteering.
Why get involved?
- Be active and get involved in your neighbourhood
- Meet new people and broaden your horizons
- Gain new skills and valuable work experience
- Participate in free professional Digital Media Training that will equip you with some tools and ideas to help you creatively document your volunteering journey
- Give a helping hand to others
- Inspire others
What is expected of you?
- Commit to volunteer in a role of your choice for a minimum of 30 hours between May – September 2018
- Complete a survey before and after you take up volunteering to record the impact of this volunteering experience on your values
- Document your personal volunteering journey and experience (i.e. by using a diary, blog, photos, videos, cartoon or other creative formats)
- Attend two “conversation salon” events (March and October 2018) to discuss issues important to you and your community and to find out more about the project
- Keep in touch with us throughout the project
Support offered by us
- We will support you with finding a suitable volunteering opportunity that matches your interest, skills and availability
- Free professional Digital Media Training
- We will regularly check in with you and give support with any issues arising
- We will select a number of volunteer journeys for an exhibition that will travel around Europe – an amazing chance to share your experience with a big audience and to inspire others to take up volunteering
When is this happening?
- The project kicked-off in March with two introduction event, which included the first “conversation salon”, on Wednesday 14th and Thursday 22nd March 2018. There is a third kick-off event for people living in Finglas, Glasnevin, Ballymun or Cabra taking place on Wednesday, April 11th. Please sign-up here.
- We will then have a chat with everybody to help you find a volunteering opportunity that is a good match for you.
- You will start volunteering and we ask that you will have completed at least 30 hours of volunteering by September.
- We ask that you participate in a survey before and after your volunteering experience.
- You will be invited to attend the optional digital media training on 14th April.
- We will be running another “conversation salon” in September or October this year.
- The roadshow that exhibits selected project participants volunteering “journeys” will be launched in Dublin at the start of December.
Did you know that 81% of people we spoke to in 2016 across Ireland said that because of volunteering, their feeling of making a useful contribution to the community had increased? 64% of people also said that because of their volunteering experience, they were more willing to get involved in local activities, that their own abilities and confidence had grown and that they overall well-being had increased.
If you have any questions, please contact Franzi Fehr at email@example.com or call 01 473 7482.
With this project, Dublin City Volunteer Centre wants to find out more about the impact volunteering can have on people’s attitudes and shared values in 2018 across four European countries: Ireland, Belgium, Croatia and Scotland.
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.