What is Volunteering?
We believe volunteering is a positive force in the community and is good for both the volunteer and the organisation with whom they volunteer. We believe in the ethos of volunteering and that it is an important expression of civic engagement.
- Volunteering is always a matter of choice and is done of the volunteers’ own free will and without coercion.
- Volunteering is a legitimate way for citizens to participate in the activities of their community.
- Volunteering benefits the community, society and the volunteer and gives people a sense of connectedness and ownership of their local community.
- Volunteering is a means for individuals and/or groups to address human, environmental and/or social needs.
- Volunteering is undertaken without the expectation of financial reward.