Are you a corporate group or team of people interested in getting involved in your community, but don’t know how or where to start?
Some important things to consider are:
- How much time do you have to volunteer? Is it once-off, during a particular timeframe or on an ongoing basis?
- How many people in your group/team would like to volunteer? For many community organisations it is hard to accommodate more than 20 people at one time. If your group is bigger than this consider volunteering in smaller groups over a number of days or choose a variety of volunteer projects instead of just one.
- Does your group have a particular area of interest? e.g. the environment, working with the elderly, poverty alleviation etc? If so, it is worth considering this in advance to help make a better match.
- Can you cover the costs associated with the volunteer project? e.g. paint and materials, refreshments if taking a group of people on a social activity etc? While volunteering is the gift of time it does not mean that it is cost-free. Covering the cost of materials for group volunteering is not an option for many community groups who are on very tight budgets.
- Is there someone on your team who can take the lead on the project? You will need at least one person to be responsible for organising the volunteering and liaising with the volunteer centre and community organisation.
For more detailed information, have a look at this fact sheet:
For a curated experience you can contact Terri at email@example.com in Volunteer Ireland, the national volunteer development agency, and ask about Team Impact Days. Or check out the information about Corporate Volunteering on their website.